Time after time, after time I hear the same thing… “I saw something awesome on Instagram, but couldn’t figure out how to buy it.” And consistently, I hear influencers complain about making the hard decision about what link to show on their Instagram profile. But you can make sales on Instagram without compromising traffic to your site.
In fact, you’ll get the best of both worlds.
And it’s an option that seriously converts.
The super secret trick to rock affiliate marketing on Instagram
The first step is to go grab a Link Tree account. Basically what it does is create a visually appealing landing page to list any and all links you so desire on your Instagram profile.
Because I run more than one website this is awesome for me.
Furthermore, because I want to make affiliate sales from items I naturally showcase in my shop window… otherwise referred to as my Instagram profile… I can also build a shop around those items people commonly ask how to buy.
But what’s even more awesome is that you can also increase the amount of traffic coming to your website with this method, thus also building SEO to pages that point towards affiliate sales.
And what’s better than cash cow SEO?
It’s the truest for of passive income.
How to utilize affiliate marketing on Instagram to build SEO
So after getting Link Tree, you’ll need to set up a site shop or at least create a category on your store for Instagram. Inside of WooCommerce, there is the option to link to affiliate and external sales. (Just be aware that it’s against Amazon TOS to list prices unless they’re 100% correct. And you don’t even have to list prices when adding a product to a WooCommerce shop… so just don’t).
(Use the links above for step-by-step instructions on how to set up a shop using affiliate links).
This allows you to build SEO on your site around a certain product. Especially if you use the products a lot and mention them in blog posts on top of Instagram, you can start linking to the product inside of your store to build the “link juice”.
With rich keywords, traffic coming into the links, and interlinking on your site, it’s a smarter way to build your affiliate marketing game.
So let me walk you through the Instagram digital marketing process…
- Set up Link Tree and put it in your profile. (I actually use a custom short domain name through Rebrandly so my profile link stays on brand, but it’s not 100% necessary).
- Upload your photo on Instagram as you would. Mention that you can find the product through the link in profile if you so desire
- Create and tag with a shop category as something like “I saw it on Instagram!” including the quotes. Why? Because it puts it at the top of the shop and on mobile, you want it to be the first one they see.
- Write a short description and make sure you disclose that clicking the button leads to an affiliate link.
- And finally, publish. If you have Grum and plan ahead well, you can schedule both your Instagram shares and your product posts at the same time.
- Track what works. (I created a specific Amazon affiliate code for my shop and create different tracking for others’ affiliate programs when coming from my shop).
How do you maximize your passive income through affiliate marketing?
If you’re looking for a network of time-savvy business entrepreneurs, check out the Work Smart, Not Hard group for more tips like this, free printables, and exclusive access to courses and workshop notes.